After 7 years at KTVT-TV…it’s time to go.
I am writing this today, my last day on the air at KTVT.

There will be little fanfare on the air, and no long good-byes ….and that’s okay.

It’s bitter and it’s sweet.
Since the decision was made earlier this week, I am still pinching myself wondering if all that’s happening is real. My co-workers will be surprised by the announcement made today, and it will be difficult to say good-bye to the people at the station whom admire and respect..my work family.
Broadcast television is a tough place right now. Like so many industries, with the economic downturn, revenue is down, and companies are restructuring and downsizing. This all needs to happen, and my position at the station is a casualty of the times.

It really started a year and a half ago, when the station decided to take me off the 10pm show. It was a blow and unexpected. But their decision came at a time when I was already searching for something else more meaningful and significant to do with my life. Not doing the 10pm show, gave me the opportunity to have dinner with my family most nights..read to my children before bedtime…and get myself to bed before midnight!

Last September I started only doing the 4pm show. This gave me the opportunity to focus on building my publishing business and launching my first children’s book “Katie and the Magic Umbrella”. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect. Now that I’m leaving…I can really focus on writing and finishing what I started..a series of Katie books. After that, I’m not sure.

I pray for that answer.

God does work miracles, and does answer our prayers, if we can be still enough to listen. I have been so busy just trying to manage 2 full-time careers these past 12 months, I haven’t been able to really quiet my mind enough to hear his soft voice. Now I will have time to do that. Be still……

I’ve even thought about going back to school and getting a masters degree…not sure in what discipline. More than likely the earth sciences, or I’ve even considered going in a totally different direction.. medicine.

But as I explore new opportunities, I know that what’s behind  this next door must be a path that feeds my soul. I feel like it’s been running on empty for quite awhile. I want to make a difference in peoples lives, and while I may have done a bit of that while on television…I’ve only scratched the surface. There is so much more I can and want to do…. whether it’s helping people who are sick, or teaching 20 year olds about earthquakes and thunderstorms, or helping children conquer their fears.

It’s been a great ride! I’ve worked with many amazing people..Troy Dungan, Tracy Rowlett, Karen Borta, Doug Dunbar, Jeff Jamison, Mike Burger, Scott Sams, Garry Seith and so many other true professionals …you know who you are!

I also want to mention John Miller…he is the reason I came back to television the first time I left the biz. He is still my hero, and I will always be grateful to him for believing in me and bringing my family to North Texas. He’s no longer in the business, but his influence can still be felt in the newsrooms he touched.

To my Viewers…. you are the reason I’ve loved what I’ve done for so long. Thank you for all your love and support and loyalty over the years. I’ve read all of your emails, appreciated your calls of support and concern.. and enjoyed every meeting and handshake.

Thank you…Thank you…Thank you….North Texas.

I’m not going anywhere…This site will be my forum..and my way of reaching out and listening to you.

I still love to forecast, and I’d like to continue to do that in some capacity. Who knows, maybe I’ll start up my own forecast page and work with those who need a customized forecast for events and venues around North Texas. The sky is the limit..and I’m  looking forward to the peace of a new path outside of TV.

Wishing you all Sunshine and Rainbows…always

Kristine

12 Responses to “I’m leaving CBS 11…”

1. JamesJackson says:

Hi Kristine! I was not at work today, so I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye in person. It was really great working with you and I will miss you! Please stay in touch with us and keep us appraised of the latest in your writing career! -James Jackson

2. six17 says:

sorry to see you go..thats a real flat tire. enjoy the time with your family. KCast.com bright idea. its only a matter of time before the masses find out that they can have the same forecast sent via email I already get instant updates have for years.smiles

all the best

Robert

3. AnotherDayinParadise says:

Kristine! You’re leaving me! I’m going to miss your smile! I wish you all the best. You were a real pleasure to work with. The station is losing a really class person and a great meteorologist. Later kid, Keith

4. j007w says:

Hi Kristine,

My 11 yr old son, Alexander, and I want to say how surprised and sadden we are to learn that you’re leaving Ch 11. Ever since we moved to the DFW area in 2000 we’ve enjoyed watching your forecasts. You are the main reason we only watch Ch 11 news. We’re sure you’ll be doing even greater things in the future. Thank you for the 7 wonderful years.

God bless.

Joseph and Alexander

5. melledge says:

I was upset when they took you off the nightly newscast. You are/were the only one that gets it right most of the time. Will miss seeing you there.

6. Writewinger says:

You will land on your feet.

7. redfilm says:

Hi Kristine… it’s been a long time since we’ve seen each other… maybe 10 years or so when you and I both worked at 8. I’ve been working on the east coast for a while… then the west coast… and now back in Dallas as of last summer.
    Would love to catch up with you and explore ideas. I’m excited for you as you embark on your new life adventure.
    All the very best!
    Michelle Redmond

8. chelseyhall says:

Mrs. Kahanek,
    I wanted to just let you know that my family and I have always enjoyed watching you for weather updates. We are a family of soon to be 8 and all the children love to watch you. We no longer have TV so most of the times we gather around the computer to watch your updates.

I wanted to just let you know that every since your first pregnancy my husband and I prayed that maybe you would find your way home to some how be a full time mommy to really be able to enjoy the full blessing of your children. I am glad to hear that you are leaving early and will be able to spend more time with your family.

I pray that the Lord would give you HIS direction and peace. Sometimes it is so hard to see past what we want and really discern HIS true biblical will for us.

It is a joy to see your Faith shine through and I pray that HE would continue to bless you and your family through this time of discerning HIS wisdom.

By His Grace and for His Glory,
    Chelsey

9. RichardInDallas says:

I get it! The way you reduce expenses AND increase ratings at the same time is to fire the most accurate meteorologist in the market! With you gone, I don’t know who I will trust to know what will come out of the sky. You will be missed, and I hope that the folks at CBS11 were kind enough to waive any no compete clause you have so that we will at least have the hope out here that you will pop up somewhere else (Fox4, NBC5, are you listening?).

10. TexasShane says:

I think it is incredibly unfortunate that this took place. You were one of the main reasons why we watched the Channel 11 news and for them to immediately turn their back on you like you never existed is wrong. But, it is a sign of the times. Coming from someone who was laid off last year, the company continues on like nothing happened – very inhuman and callous.
    You do wonderful work and wish you the best of luck in the future!

11. MHathawayDallas says:

I totally relate to your situation! After being relieved of my corporate job of over a decade last December, I decided to take the plunge and fulfill a promise to myself to return to stage acting when I hit 40. Well January 18th I hit that milestone and 12 days later I made my return to the stage after a 17 yr absence.

Ever since, things have just been falling into my lap. I may be broke by comparison to my corporate days, but the universe has made it up to me in so many ways.

Listen to your heart and your head and take the plunge into a brave new career! Good luck with the books!!

12. Karen says:

Kristine, I have been wondering where you were. I missed newscasts during the first part of May so did not see your farewell. I feel a loss. You are such a classy lady and I am so pleased to hear about your books…God will lead you into wonderful things.

Good luck and God Bless You,